Sons of Horus Breachers

I love the Breacher miniatures. I’ll get that out of the way now, then I can carry on without making a fuss.

With all the models for the Sons of Horus army I’m building, I’ve tried to give them a battered look as though they’ve been through the wars already, so apologies if you’re looking for a clean and crisp look. I’ll make a post of how to do that separately to this one, as this is the remaining two miniatures for the squad.

The first two pictures show the breacher undercoated with Abaddon Black (GW – not an undercoat, but it’s what I had available) then has Lupercal Green (FW) splashed on all over.

The next layers I added were Sons of Horus Green (FW) which was painted onto every green section of the model, leaving the Lupercal Green around the edges of the armour plates, bolts, etc. An extra layer of Sons of Horus Green can be used to smooth out the colour, as you can see it’s a little streaky on it’s fires application.

Next up, Model Air Rust (VJ) was applied to the trim of the armour and shield.

From there I used a pin vice to add a few ‘bullet holes’ in the shield.

Next I used Abaddon Black to paint on the Sons of Horus icon on both shoulders, and to add the first layer of the battle damage. Using a piece of packing spnge (like from the GW blister packs), I lightly (for the most part…) sponged on the black. On the shield I also made a few sweeping strokes with the sponge, which gives a nice ‘scraped’ effect when it’s finished. I’ll be adding a tutorial for easy battle damage in the near future.

With the black in place, I now add the Model Air Chrome (VJ) to all the parts of the miniature that need it.

Other than the Black and Umber shade washes (VJ), I left the battle damage here. You can do more to make it look more 3D, and I’ll show that in the battle damage tutorial. With these being marines who will likely be wiped out quickly, I’m not too concerned with making each one look amazing.

The next stage though, is the two shades. I used the Black Shade on whole model, around the edge of every panel, each bolt, each bullet hole, etc. The Black Shade sinks into the recesses and gives it a tarnished look. I also added Umber Shade to the Rust which dulls the shine and darkens it in the creases and around the bolts.  With the army’s look being battered and worn, it also looks like there’s dirt/carbon build up on the armour.

Once this is done, there’s not too much more to do. The eyes were painted Red using the usual gemstone method (again, another tutorial soon), though it was a lot harder as the eyes are set back a lot on these models. I also painted the end of the two meltas as though the metal was tempered (… yes, another, very brief tutorial), which gives the model some nice, easy details to bring it to life.

The only thing left to do was the base. I’ve based the whole army with a few pieces of plastic paving, tufts of grass, and Stirland Battlemire (GW Texture) which is another quick and easy basing method. Once finished, I painted the whole thing with a matt varnish, and the lenses with a gloss varnish.

And that’s the end of the Breachers. If there’s anything you want to ask, please just ask in the comments section below.

Thanks for reading.