When I posted a few pictures of my Sons of Horus Sicaran, my pal Dave said he thought I was meant to be painting Horus. I laughed it off, and today (Friday) realised that I won’t have time to work on him until Monday, so cracked on with him tonight.

Today has mainly been about washes. With the Vallejo Model Air Chrome completed for last Sunday, today it was time give them my standard Vallejo Black Shade layer. I started with the main bulk of the body.

His claw has quite a lot of chrome on it, and I wanted to give the ammo drum a heavier wash than the rest of it to really darken it up, and stop the shaded Chrome looking too flat.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I think it worked to a reasonable extent, and I’ll be able to tweak it later to give it some more mottling.

While the shades were drying, I applied Citadel Mephiston Red Base to Horus’s cloak. I gave it a few layers to make sure it was smooth, and cursed on a few spots where I’d failed to wash off all the releasing agent from it. What happens when you don’t wash the releasing agent off? The paint retreats from that area and beads around it’s edge. As I’d already applied a lot of paint to the cloak when I discovered this folly, I didn’t want to use a toothbrush and washing up liquid to scrub it. Instead I opted for one of my cheating methods.

Vallejo Flat Red, having been used loads over the years, is now a little thicker than it should be, so I carefully applied a thin layer of it over the shiny areas, and held it under the light to dry it quickly. I did this a couple of times, and eventually I had a nice flat base of red to apply the Mephiston Red to.

Once the Mephiston Red was dry, I applied a decent coat of Citadel Drucchi Violet Shade.

With the Shade drying, I moved back to the body of Horus, and started work on the Eyes of Horus that litter his armour. I gave them a few more layers of Citadel Averland Sunset Base until they were a smooth yellow, then added a wash of Citadel Casandora Yellow Shade to the whole area. Once that was dry, I added some Vallejo Red Shade around the edges.

Again, after it had dried I added a few more layers of Red Shade to darken up the outer edges until it looked like this:

IMG_2887

The edges to the Red Shade didn’t come out very smooth, so I’ve got a bit of work to do to round them off, but so far he’s coming along nicely.

That’s all from me, time for Mike to give us the rundown on his work on the Loyalist Ferrus Manus. Take it away, Mike!

Okay, so I’m taking it nice and steady with Ferrus. It’s not particularly a model I want to rush (and well, I’m trying to paint a million things at once as usual). I’m also a little intimidated by the thought of painting and blending the arms, which will be next week’s task. In fact, it’ll probably take me a couple of weeks to get right. You can view the results as I progress on this blog.

The first thing I did this week was paint a basecoat for the arms. I thought that if I did this then I would at least be starting them, and might feel a bit more confident about the next stages. I used Vallejo Panzer Aces Flesh Base for this as you can see below:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

If you’ve read last week’s update, you’ll know that I already basecoated the face. I gave this another coat so that none of the black undercoat was peeking through (I will probably do the same with the arms):

IMG_2217

As I didn’t want to go straight onto blending the arms – I need time to sit down and do it properly – I decided to paint the base, as it would at least be moving forward to a completed model.

As with Forge World’s painted Ferrus Manus, I decided to do two Emperor’s Children and two Iron Hands models on the base. For the Emperor’s Children I first airbrushed them with Forge World’s Phoenician Purple, making sure to cover the entire Legionary:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next, I airbrushed over this with Forge World’s Chemos Purple, which is a lighter tone, being careful to leave the previous colour in the recesses. As you can see this gives a nice vibrant purple colour which I think is a great base for Emperor’s Children Legionaries:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I then started on the Iron Hands, using the silver basecoat technique I’ve detailed here. For sake of clarity I’ll also go through it here.

I airbrushed the Iron Hands with Tamiya Gun Metal, leaving a bit of the black undercoat in the recesses.

NOTE: Be careful when you’re painting these two different legionaries next to each other. I held a bit of paper between, which managed to stop the paint from one getting onto the other during airbrushing. Using low-tack masking tape might be easier, but I was being lazy. 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next, airbrush Tamiya Flat Aluminium from 45º angle above the model. This is referred to as a Zenith highlight, and represents the light catching the top of the model. It’s also a nice way to provide easy shading without having to go back and shade the model:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

That’s all for this week. As I said: Slow and steady.

Check back next week to see how we’re getting on, and if I’ve been brave enough to paint his arms.

Thanks for reading.