Shokkjump Dragsta, part 1

When Orktober arrived at the end of last year, it rekindled my love of the greenskins, and I decided to try and paint up as many as possible over the following months. Here we are four months later, and I’ve not done a whole lot of them if I’m honest. When I saw Speedfreeks, I figured I’d pick it up for the two vehicles alone, but it also gave me another six warbikers! Woohoo!

The Shokkjump Dragsta is the first new Ork vehicle I’ve painted, and as it looks like a formula 1 car, I had to do it in the colours of the old John Player Special Lotus 77. We had one for our Scalextric and I’ve loved it ever since, mainly because it was R Kid’s favourite one and it was mega.

In hindsight, I would have used Glossy Nuln Oil to dull the chipping and damage, as standard Nuln Oil stopped the glossy black showing. And yes, I did go back over the glossy black so it was shiny again…

Sawblades

The sawblades on the front were asking to be detailed and gory, and I couldn’t resist making it look as good as possible. It’s the first thing you see coming towards you, and by Gork it’s going to scare the piddle out of you.

I started with a coat of Citadel Leadbelcher. I’ve always found this good for Ork metals as it is duller than the Vallejo Model Air Chrome/Steel/Silver I use on Astartes. Once dry, I gave it a thorough wash of Citadel Nuln Oil, adding bits of Agrax Earthshade to it to give it an old, grubby look. When the shades were dry, I gently sponged on Model Air Chrome around the edges of the sawblade housing, and then lightly drybrushed Citadel Necron Compound over the sawblades themselves. Once done, I used Nuln Oil over the Model Air Chrome to dull it down a little, then started applying Citadel Blood for the Blood God to add some nice, fresh looking spatter. Someone’s just been minced! Finally, I used Necron compound over some of the edges and saw blades to give them a sharp and shiny look through the blood.

Side Panels

The side panels, like the rest of the bodywork, were painted with Vallejo Glossy Black, and a thin line of Citadel Retributor Armour was painted on a mil or so from the edge of the panel. The skull was painted with Vallejo White. I shaded the skull with Citadel Seraphim Sepia, before lightly sponging on Model Air Chrome. I touched up the white, leaving plenty of Sepia showing, as it adds discolouration to the white, meaning it’s not so crisp and clean. I then washed the Chrome areas with Nuln Oil, then gave the panel shiny edges by drybrushing Necron Compound onto them.

Exhausts

The exhausts. I don’t know why I like painting them so much! I think it’s because you can get REALLY good rust effects REALLY easily, and you can really go to town on them. Anyone who’s owned a really old car will know how rusty the exhaust (and, in the case of my old Escort, the whole chassis and body. It used to creak like the Titanic’s hull when going around corners…) can be.

To start with, I gave the exhausts a good coat of Leadbelcher, painting up some of the panels with Citadel Fulgurite Copper, and some with Model Air Chrome.. I then shaded the whole Leadbelcher and Chrome area with Nuln Oil, then shaded the Fulgurite Copper and selected areas of the exhaust with Citadel Agrax Earthshade. Once dry, I applied Citadel Typhus Corrosion to certain areas, and then, once dry, drybrushed them with Citadel Ryza Rust.

That’s all for this post, part two will be here next week. Thanks for reading, and if you have any comments please don’t hesitate to leave them below. Also, please consider following us on the social media channels listed below:

Facebook / Instagram / Twitter / Youtube


One thought on “Shokkjump Dragsta, part 1

Leave a Reply